Year of visit
  • 2016

Location

Adress: 39 Rue de la Cavalerie, Condé-sur-l'Escaut, France.

Bailleul Castle

Bailleul Castle, locally known as Château de Bailleul, lies in the center of the town of Condé-sur-l'Escaut in the Nord department in France.

In the Middle Ages, two lordships shared the town of Condé. One strategically situated near the confluence of the Scheldt (French name l'Escaut) and the Haine rivers which is now Nicolas d'Avesnes Castle. The other one; Bailleul, situated in the upper town, safe from inundations.

Bailleul Castle was built between 1408 and 1411 for Jean de La Hamaide, who had acquired the site in 1391. There probably was a predecessor at this location, dating back to the 12th century, whose structures might have been incorporated into the new castle. The castle probably was a tower house with a small courtyard behind it. The La Hamaide family owned the castle until 1485. By the end of the 15th century the castle was described as a residence. Later it was owned by the Oetingen family.

In 1531 Bailleul Castle went to the Roghendorf family. In 1544, Christophe de Roghendorf laid out a large garden behind the castle, extending up to the medieval town walls. For this garden the courtyard buildings were removed and two residential wings were added to the sides of the castle.

In 1559 the castle went to the Lallaing family. Through marriage the castle went to the Croÿ family in the early 17th century. Emmanuel de Croÿ, future 7th Duke of Croÿ and Marshal of France, was born here in 1718. During Croÿ ownership the castle and its adjoining buildings underwent extended rebuilding. The medieval castle gradually lost its military appearance and was transformed into a comfortable residence. The Croÿ family owned Bailleul Castle up until the French Revolution.

In 1793 the castle was declared State property and all of its interior was taken away. During the following centuries the castle declined and several adjoining buildings were sold and rebuilt. At present the second floor in the tower is in danger of collapse and a search is on to find money for a precious but much needed restoration.

Bailleul Castle can not be visited, only on special days like National Heritage Days. A very nice castle is a very nice town.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://www.castles.nl/bailleul-castle#sigFreeId19d0aea1f8

Year of visit
  • 2016

Location

Adress: 39 Rue de la Cavalerie, Condé-sur-l'Escaut, France.

Year of visit
  • 2016

Location

Adress: 39 Rue de la Cavalerie, Condé-sur-l'Escaut, France.

Bailleul Castle

Bailleul Castle, locally known as Château de Bailleul, lies in the center of the town of Condé-sur-l'Escaut in the Nord department in France.

In the Middle Ages, two lordships shared the town of Condé. One strategically situated near the confluence of the Scheldt (French name l'Escaut) and the Haine rivers which is now Nicolas d'Avesnes Castle. The other one; Bailleul, situated in the upper town, safe from inundations.

Bailleul Castle was built between 1408 and 1411 for Jean de La Hamaide, who had acquired the site in 1391. There probably was a predecessor at this location, dating back to the 12th century, whose structures might have been incorporated into the new castle. The castle probably was a tower house with a small courtyard behind it. The La Hamaide family owned the castle until 1485. By the end of the 15th century the castle was described as a residence. Later it was owned by the Oetingen family.

In 1531 Bailleul Castle went to the Roghendorf family. In 1544, Christophe de Roghendorf laid out a large garden behind the castle, extending up to the medieval town walls. For this garden the courtyard buildings were removed and two residential wings were added to the sides of the castle.

In 1559 the castle went to the Lallaing family. Through marriage the castle went to the Croÿ family in the early 17th century. Emmanuel de Croÿ, future 7th Duke of Croÿ and Marshal of France, was born here in 1718. During Croÿ ownership the castle and its adjoining buildings underwent extended rebuilding. The medieval castle gradually lost its military appearance and was transformed into a comfortable residence. The Croÿ family owned Bailleul Castle up until the French Revolution.

In 1793 the castle was declared State property and all of its interior was taken away. During the following centuries the castle declined and several adjoining buildings were sold and rebuilt. At present the second floor in the tower is in danger of collapse and a search is on to find money for a precious but much needed restoration.

Bailleul Castle can not be visited, only on special days like National Heritage Days. A very nice castle is a very nice town.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://www.castles.nl/bailleul-castle#sigFreeId19d0aea1f8

Year of visit
  • 2016

Location

Adress: 39 Rue de la Cavalerie, Condé-sur-l'Escaut, France.