Brakel Castle, locally known as Slot Brakel, lies next to the village of Brakel, in the province of Gelderland in the Netherlands.
Tradition has it that in 860 a castle was built on the site of the present day ruin. It was built by Boudewijn II and destroyed by the Vikings in 1009.
Probably in the 13th century a new castle was built on the site. In 1321 a certain Eustachius, Knight of Brakel and his son Stasekijn dedicated the castle to the Count of Gelre. In the same year however the castle was struck by lightning and burned down.
After a partial rebuilding the castle was again destroyed in 1407. This time by the troops of Count Willem VI of Holland. A century later the castle was rebuild as a square water stronghold, consisting of one or two rectangular residential buildings, round corner towers and defensive walls enclosing a courtyard. In 1672 the castle was destroyed for the last time by French troops as a revenge for not paying a contribution. It never was rebuild again.
The present day castle ruins mostly date back to the 15th century.
In 1768 the reverend Wilhelmus Wilhelmius build the new Brakel House; the remains of the old castle where included in the garden layout.
In 1811 when the new house was being refurbished, the garden was converted in the English landscape style. In the following years the castle ruins underwent some repairs to prevent them from collapsing.
Since 1973 the ruins of Brakel Castle and the surrounding park are in the care of the "Friends of the Castles of Gelderland"-foundation. The condition of the ruin is worrisome mostly because of the corroding and crumbling wall on the waterline.
The ruin itself sits on a moated island and can't be visited. The park in which it's incorporated is freely accessible.
Its exact location is at Dwarssteeg 2-4 in Brakel.
A plan of the ruins of Brakel Castle.
Back to top.