Year of visit
  • 2007

Location

Nearest named road: John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Willemstad, Curaçao.

Fort Piscadera

Fort Piscadera lies at the entrance to the Piscadera Bay west of the city of Willemstad, on the Caribbean island of Curaçao in the Dutch Antilles.

The first fortification at this site probably was built between 1701-1704 under Governor Van Beek. Because it wasn't maintained, as was common in those days, it quickly fell into neglect.

In 1714 Governor Van Collen proposed to the West Indian Company to rebuilt Fort Piscadera to better defend the area. And although this was agreed upon it again took some time before the work started. When the fort was finished it had a rectangular star shape and was armed with 6 to 8 cannons of small caliber. It are the remains of this fort we see today.

In 1800, French troops had conquered Fort Sint Michiel. They were advancing to Willemstad over land and would pass Fort Piscadera. But because the landside of the fort was unprotected and its defenses were aimed at the sea, the Dutch command ordered the soldiers of Fort Piscadera to dismantle the cannons, to immobilize them and to take the gun carriages with them as they withdrew over water to Willemstad. But because the advance of the French was quicker than expected they had no time to immobilize the cannons. This proved a big mistake as the French subsequently used the cannons to bombard Willemstad.

After the French had left, the fort was restored by Captain Gravenhorst under Governor Lauffer. At that time Fort Piscadera was armed with 14 cannons; 6 eight-pounders, 4 twelve-pounders and 4 eighteen-pounders.

In January 1804 an English invasion troop of 120 seamen and 70 marines under Captain William Bligh (of Bounty-fame) landed here and attacked the fort. Fort Piscadera was occupied by 13 soldiers with 14 cannons. But as they had no ammunition for the cannons they fled to Willemstad.

When Fort Piscadera returned into Dutch possession no maintenance was carried out and by 1819 it had fallen into decay. It disappeared under the brushwood until the 1950's when it was restored.

At present Fort Piscadera is located on the grounds of the Hilton hotel. It can however be visited freely. This is a small fort and there is not very much to see but the beach here is very nice.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://www.castles.nl/fort-piscadera#sigFreeIdc2330ac115

Year of visit
  • 2007

Location

Nearest named road: John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Willemstad, Curaçao.

Year of visit
  • 2007

Location

Nearest named road: John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Willemstad, Curaçao.

Fort Piscadera

Fort Piscadera lies at the entrance to the Piscadera Bay west of the city of Willemstad, on the Caribbean island of Curaçao in the Dutch Antilles.

The first fortification at this site probably was built between 1701-1704 under Governor Van Beek. Because it wasn't maintained, as was common in those days, it quickly fell into neglect.

In 1714 Governor Van Collen proposed to the West Indian Company to rebuilt Fort Piscadera to better defend the area. And although this was agreed upon it again took some time before the work started. When the fort was finished it had a rectangular star shape and was armed with 6 to 8 cannons of small caliber. It are the remains of this fort we see today.

In 1800, French troops had conquered Fort Sint Michiel. They were advancing to Willemstad over land and would pass Fort Piscadera. But because the landside of the fort was unprotected and its defenses were aimed at the sea, the Dutch command ordered the soldiers of Fort Piscadera to dismantle the cannons, to immobilize them and to take the gun carriages with them as they withdrew over water to Willemstad. But because the advance of the French was quicker than expected they had no time to immobilize the cannons. This proved a big mistake as the French subsequently used the cannons to bombard Willemstad.

After the French had left, the fort was restored by Captain Gravenhorst under Governor Lauffer. At that time Fort Piscadera was armed with 14 cannons; 6 eight-pounders, 4 twelve-pounders and 4 eighteen-pounders.

In January 1804 an English invasion troop of 120 seamen and 70 marines under Captain William Bligh (of Bounty-fame) landed here and attacked the fort. Fort Piscadera was occupied by 13 soldiers with 14 cannons. But as they had no ammunition for the cannons they fled to Willemstad.

When Fort Piscadera returned into Dutch possession no maintenance was carried out and by 1819 it had fallen into decay. It disappeared under the brushwood until the 1950's when it was restored.

At present Fort Piscadera is located on the grounds of the Hilton hotel. It can however be visited freely. This is a small fort and there is not very much to see but the beach here is very nice.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://www.castles.nl/fort-piscadera#sigFreeIdc2330ac115

Year of visit
  • 2007

Location

Nearest named road: John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Willemstad, Curaçao.