Girsberg Castle

Girsberg Castle, locally known as Château du Girsberg or Burg Girsberg, lies north of the village of  Ribeauvillé in the Haut-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Southern Alsace or the Vosges.

Girsberg Castle is one of the 3, so-called, Ribeauvillé Castles. The others are; St. Ulrich Castle, which is opposite and within viewing distance and Haut-Ribeaupierre Castle, which lies further up the mountain.

The castle is built by Ribeaupierre during the first half of the 13th century on a small rocky ridge. The Lords of Girsberg became its owners in 1316 and gave the castle their name. They peacefully keep the castle until 1422 when lineage dies out. In 1513 it is still inhabited by Hermann Banweiler, keeper of the castle. From then on the castle is gradually abandoned.

This small castle is a great example of how to make maximum use of a site. Its plan is simple; a pentagonal keep, with extremely projecting embossings, protects the living quarters which follows the shape of the rock. Downwards, to the east, is a bailey. The entrance, formerly equipped with a drawbridge, is adapted to the use of firearms.

This is a very nice castle, offering great views of the surrounding lands and nearby St. Ulrich Castle. The castle can be accessed but you have to climb a ca. 3 meters high rock face. The keep is inaccessible as its entrance is a higher floor level.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://www.castles.nl/girsberg-castle#sigFreeId89f9182add

Girsberg Castle

Girsberg Castle, locally known as Château du Girsberg or Burg Girsberg, lies north of the village of  Ribeauvillé in the Haut-Rhin department in France. This area is also known as the Southern Alsace or the Vosges.

Girsberg Castle is one of the 3, so-called, Ribeauvillé Castles. The others are; St. Ulrich Castle, which is opposite and within viewing distance and Haut-Ribeaupierre Castle, which lies further up the mountain.

The castle is built by Ribeaupierre during the first half of the 13th century on a small rocky ridge. The Lords of Girsberg became its owners in 1316 and gave the castle their name. They peacefully keep the castle until 1422 when lineage dies out. In 1513 it is still inhabited by Hermann Banweiler, keeper of the castle. From then on the castle is gradually abandoned.

This small castle is a great example of how to make maximum use of a site. Its plan is simple; a pentagonal keep, with extremely projecting embossings, protects the living quarters which follows the shape of the rock. Downwards, to the east, is a bailey. The entrance, formerly equipped with a drawbridge, is adapted to the use of firearms.

This is a very nice castle, offering great views of the surrounding lands and nearby St. Ulrich Castle. The castle can be accessed but you have to climb a ca. 3 meters high rock face. The keep is inaccessible as its entrance is a higher floor level.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://www.castles.nl/girsberg-castle#sigFreeId89f9182add