A little history
At the end of the 13th century, Count Floris V of Holland (1256-1296) ordered the construction of a
series of castles to control the Westfrisian population. Radboud Castle is the only one remaining of
those castles. Of this coercion castle only 2 residential wings, 2 square and one round tower are
still standing. From old pictures and archeological research it is known that Radboud Castle must
have been a strong castle. It shows similarity to other square castles like
Muiden Castle (also build by Floris),
Ammersoyen Castle and
The name Radboud has been derived from the popular assumption that the castle was build on the place
where in the 8th century a castle from the Frisian king Radboud had been standing. It is also known as
In the 14th and 15th century the counts of Holland installed guardians at the castle. Radboud Castle
has never been connected to nobility but has been primarily used as a prison. The people of Medemblik
used it as a refuge.
When, between 1573 and 1578, the town of Medemblik built citywalls the castle lost its function and
gradually fell into decay. From 1661 till 1734 the great hall at the southwestern side was used as a
Reformed church and the square tower at the west side was rebuild as a belltower.
From 1848 the great demolition started; first in 1850 when the gatehouse and three towers were torn
down and in 1870 when another 2 towers were torn down. In 1889 the remains of the castle were
transferred to the State. A thorough restoration followed, in which the round southtower was
reconstructed, that saved the damaged castle.
From 1897 till 1934 the castle was used as a courthouse. In 1936 the moat was cleared which showed the
original groundplan more clearly. In the sixties another major restoration was carried out in which
some fantasized additions from the earlier restoration were removed.
Location and contact information
Oudevaarsgat 8 in Medemblik, tel.nr. 0227-541960.
Open: from Easter till the 1st of November, from 10:00 till 17:00. Sundays all year
round from 12:00 till 17:00. Closed during Christmas and New Years Day.
Radboud Castle Links
Back to top.