Year of visit
  • 2015

Location

Adress: Rue du Château, Sierck-les-Bains, France.

Website

Sierck Castle

Sierck Castle, locally known as Château de Sierck-les-Bains or Château des Ducs de Lorraine, lies on a rock above the town of Sierck-les-Bains, in the Moselle department in France, close to the borders with Luxembourg and Germany.

Sierck Castle is situated on a rocky promontory of 195 meters high next to the Moselle river. When the castle was built is unknown. Tradition has it that it was built on the remains of a Gallo-Roman fortification. It was first mentioned in 1067. Through the ages Sierck Castle was one of the favorite residences of the Dukes of Lorraine. During the absence of the Dukes the castle was entrusted to the Sierck family.

Sierck Castle was besieged several times. It successfully resisted these sieges when a Duke was residing here in 1131 and 1516. But was taken when the Duke was absent in 1475 and 1633. It was taken back for the Duchy of Lorraine in 1635 but again taken by the French in 1643.

In 1661 Sierck Castle was finally incorporated into the Kingdom of France due to the Treaty of Vincennes. After that it lost its residential function and military importance. So, in 1673, its upkeep was deemed to costly and the castle was disarmed and dismantled by Louis XIV of France. This caused the towers to be lowered and almost all residential buildings to be demolished.

In 1705, however, during the War of the Spanish Succession, its defenses were restored again by Claude Louis Hector de Villars, general of Louis XIV, due to the fact that the Duke of Marlborough had set up his headquarters in nearby Malbrouck Castle. After the war had ended, in 1713, Sierck Castle was disarmed again.

From 1733 to 1752 Sierck Castle was again restored and armed, only to be disarmed again in 1790. In 1811 it was deemed so unimportant that it was sold by the French State. Only to be repurchased again by the State in 1814 after which it was again restored and armed. Finally, in 1866, Sierck Castle was definitively decommissioned.

The present remains of Sierck Castle mainly date back to an extensive rebuilding from the 15th century with other buildings added during the 18th century.

At present Sierck Castle can be visited for a fee. A very nice castle ruin offering great views over the Moselle river.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://www.castles.nl/sierck-castle#sigFreeIde1bfad662b

Year of visit
  • 2015

Location

Adress: Rue du Château, Sierck-les-Bains, France.

Website

Year of visit
  • 2015

Location

Adress: Rue du Château, Sierck-les-Bains, France.

Website

Sierck Castle

Sierck Castle, locally known as Château de Sierck-les-Bains or Château des Ducs de Lorraine, lies on a rock above the town of Sierck-les-Bains, in the Moselle department in France, close to the borders with Luxembourg and Germany.

Sierck Castle is situated on a rocky promontory of 195 meters high next to the Moselle river. When the castle was built is unknown. Tradition has it that it was built on the remains of a Gallo-Roman fortification. It was first mentioned in 1067. Through the ages Sierck Castle was one of the favorite residences of the Dukes of Lorraine. During the absence of the Dukes the castle was entrusted to the Sierck family.

Sierck Castle was besieged several times. It successfully resisted these sieges when a Duke was residing here in 1131 and 1516. But was taken when the Duke was absent in 1475 and 1633. It was taken back for the Duchy of Lorraine in 1635 but again taken by the French in 1643.

In 1661 Sierck Castle was finally incorporated into the Kingdom of France due to the Treaty of Vincennes. After that it lost its residential function and military importance. So, in 1673, its upkeep was deemed to costly and the castle was disarmed and dismantled by Louis XIV of France. This caused the towers to be lowered and almost all residential buildings to be demolished.

In 1705, however, during the War of the Spanish Succession, its defenses were restored again by Claude Louis Hector de Villars, general of Louis XIV, due to the fact that the Duke of Marlborough had set up his headquarters in nearby Malbrouck Castle. After the war had ended, in 1713, Sierck Castle was disarmed again.

From 1733 to 1752 Sierck Castle was again restored and armed, only to be disarmed again in 1790. In 1811 it was deemed so unimportant that it was sold by the French State. Only to be repurchased again by the State in 1814 after which it was again restored and armed. Finally, in 1866, Sierck Castle was definitively decommissioned.

The present remains of Sierck Castle mainly date back to an extensive rebuilding from the 15th century with other buildings added during the 18th century.

At present Sierck Castle can be visited for a fee. A very nice castle ruin offering great views over the Moselle river.


Gallery

View the embedded image gallery online at:
http://www.castles.nl/sierck-castle#sigFreeIde1bfad662b

Year of visit
  • 2015

Location

Adress: Rue du Château, Sierck-les-Bains, France.

Website